Happy Halloween!!!

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Hand

In the car, on the way to school awhile ago, I lay back on my seat and close my eyes. I've been solving Math problems sinec the night before, and the formulas running through my mind are making me dizzy.

So I close my eyes.

Then three sharp knocks startled me.

Knock-knock-knock.

They came from my window, where I saw an old man, grime sticking to his body, a hand held out for that spare coin I might have. But what caught my eye is his other hand.

He doesn't have one.

I closed my eyes again.

Yeah, you might think I'm such a cold-hearted piece of sh*t for snubbing that poor fellow.

Well, I'm not.

First thing: I forgot to bring any money. I was rushing to get to school that I didn't put the coins I took out last night back into my pocket.

Second thing: I can't stand looking at such a conditon. It breaks my heart.

He kept on knocking, but I ignored him. It was such a relief when the traffic lights finally gave way to us. In my mind, my plan was reinforced with even more certainty that I have to do it.

I have to HELP.

Sometimes, these beggars aren't really sympathetic figures. Well, the ones who carry their babies around traffic and exposing them to pollution and using them to get donations, they're the ones that don't need our sympathy. I mean, they're clearly abled people. They think poverty is their disability and that it's a perfect excuse for them to just thrust out their hand and money will come instantly from the soft-hearted suckers. They need to work to earn money.

So maybe some of you think that I'm being a cold-hearted b*tch here because I'm not in their situation. To be honest, if I'm in their situation, I won't know what to do. I can't imagine myself being like that. Maybe now you're thinking that it's easy for me to tell them to go get a job because I'm not in their situation, and that I can afford to blog about it so I probably don't need one right now.

Well, I know it's not easy to get a job, even if you've finished college. So how could they? Most of them didn't even got into high school, maybe have never gone to school ever. There are other jobs. Like applying as maids, janitors, or making rags and sampaguita garlands and stuff. At least, even though those jobs generate meager income, they won't be freeloading off of sympathy.

But seriously, even though I said those things above, I'm not a sympathy-proof heart. I hate seeing people suffer. I hate seeing people homeless, dragging their kids around the streets, sleeping on the sidewalk. I hate seeing outstretched hand at the other side of my car window. If only I could make something happen that all of these street nomads would have a home.

I'm supporting charities that aim to help these street people. But of course, my allowance can only provide so little. There's too much poverty in this country, let alone the whole world, for the few giving people that exist to be able to compensate.

No comments: