Happy Halloween!!!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Lana the Damsel in Distress

As I mentioned in the previous post, I've been watching Smallville (started from season 4) this past week. I do enjoy watching it, because I love Superman (although I didn't read the comics and everything...but I want to). I even liked the "dismal" Superman Returns movie. Well, yeah, the storyline was pathetic, but the effects were just wonderful...and I can't ignore that.

So anyway, getting back to Smallville. Been watching this series since I was a freshman in high school. Watched every single episode of it...up until the secind season...I think. Hmm. That made me think. I'm sure I've seen every single episode 'til the second season (I had the VCDs), and I think I followed the third season religiously on TV. But the fourth season came and I didn't get to watch everything. When I watched the 4th season days ago, I did remember most of the episodes. So I guess I still saw that...but not all. And now, I'm on the last episode of season 5... and I'm getting uber irritated.

Not with the show, no.

With Lana Lang.

Gawd, she's just become so pathetic and annoying that I can't stand her anymore. I wish she just died instead of Jonathan Kent!

I loved Lana since day one. She's pretty and charming and just you know, all around nice girl. But goodness, her character is weak! I've just realized. Viewing all those TV shows somehow made me more...critical(?) about observing characters...Whatever.

Anyway, she's such a damsel in distress. Yeah yeah, I've dreamt of being rescued by a knight in shining armor on a white horse with a sword or something. I'm a romantic. But the way Lana has turned out... Ugh! What have they done to her?!

She's been in the hospital in almost every episode. She keeps on saying "I don't need to be protected!" But she ends up being saved by everybody, from Clark to Lex, and even Jason (who I hated-->he's just his mother's puppet. What an idiot). It's like she couldn't live without a boyfriend! First she had Whitney, who is just...I don't know, nothing, compared to Clark (Clark's obviously hotter!!!). And she was unwilling to leave that scumbag for Clark! Would you believe that? But anyway, I thought, first boyfriend and eveything, it's hard to let go. So there.

After Whitney died, I thought she'd finally get together with Clark. But our ickle superhero is too shy (torpe!!!) and complicated and confused to get with her. I think Lana had season 3 as a break from guys? Can't remember, I have to watch that again. But I know that she had a string of flings throughout, always falling ang clinging to the guy and then later ending up in the hospital, saved by Clark. She's such a waste of superpowers.

Then Season 4 came and with it, Jason. I mean, Jensen Ackles is cute, but his character is just so pathetic. He's like this huge extra throughout the season who just existed to be manipulated by the Luthors and his mother. He claimed to be protecting Lana when he did what he did, and then Lana goes all angry and says, "I don't need to be protected!" Yeah, she had the spirit of a wicked countess possessing her, but still she ended up where? Oh yeah, under Lex's protection.

Fifth season came, and thank goodness, she and Clark finally hook up! After grieving a second for Jason. Of course, who could protect her better than Superboy himself? And then she goes all angry with Clark because he's not being honest (which, I guess, from her point of view, is really maddening). But everything Clark did was for her protection. When she got close to Lex, Clark warned her to stay away because he's afraid of what might happen to her. Yep, same line. "I dn't need to be protected!"

At least Jason lasted for a whole season. But for the whole Clark and Lana love team that went on since day one, they didn't last that long. If only she knew that what Clark did was for her...He lost his father for her! Well, he didn't know that would happen but still. She went running to Lex Luthor. I mean, that's the worst couple ever. Lex is like, old in the story, and Lana was only 18 or 19 at the time. Ugh! And after all that jazz about her not trusting Lex or not needing protection, she went to him for every little glitch that happened in her life. Even when Lex admitted that he lied to her in order to protect her, guess what she said. Yes. That. "I don't need to be protected!"

If she really doesn't need to be protected, then why does she end up being helpless all the time? I know, some people might argue that she didn't choose to be protected, but the men around her just took it upon themselves to be her protector. But that's just it. She needed men around her. You don't see Chloe and Lois that helpless. Okay, Chloe a bit, but not every time. She manages to get herself out of trouble. Especially Lois. I love it that she's really stubborn and strong. That's the type of girl that doesn't need protecting. Who is Lana kidding? One smack and she hits the floor. At least Lois could get a couple more kicks in before she collapses.

The other thing I'm pissed about is how abruptly she falls into Lex's arms. And that loyalty at the end of the 5th season! It's as if Clark and her never was. True, Clark broke her heart. I mean, having someone you love look you in the eyes and tell you he doesn't love you is...like death itself. But claiming that she loved him for so long and then making out with Lex Luthor public enemy #1 that fast? And then defending him from Clark? She is just so guillible, easily falling for any guy that woos her. It's just pathetic. I hate it. I'm just glad Superman ends up with Lois in the end. At least he's have time saving the rest of the world with her being able to take care of herself. Imagine if Superman ended up with Lana. He'd become her bodyguard, having to save her neck all the time because she's too much a sissy to do so that he doesn't have time to save the rest of the world, even with his superspeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never watched Smallville. I take it you live in ORLANDO :)

Miss Lee said...

Actually, no... :) am far far away from Orlando. :)