Happy Halloween!!!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Severus Snape, for the Last Time



I don't... I wanna cry. I'm still in the office and I wanna cry after having read this a second time. 

There are very few things in this world that elicit this strong a feeling from me (because let's face it - I'm pretty apathetic and oblivious to a lot of things). One of those handful of things is the Harry Potter series. Jo Rowling built a world with her marvelous wit and imagination - the world where, upon reading the first book, I undoubtedly belonged to. I found home buried in those pages, devouring chapter per chapter as fast as my eyes could read, as swift as my brain could process. I grew with the characters. I laughed, cried, learned, loved, got frightened, and triumphed with them. 

I read those books over and over, discovering new things with each rereading. Those are the only books that I guarantee I will never get tired of reading. Going back to those pages feels like enveloping myself in the arms of friends and family. The wonder and awe that every sentence gives me brings me back to my childhood.

Ten years. Ten years of my life I spent with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They aren't just characters anymore. They're friends, all of them. I couldn't look back at my life without mentioning Harry Potter.

The movies, on the other hand, brought my world to life and made many people here appreciate the magic. It truly is amazing. Now, with only 2 months to go, the last movie is coming out. Harry Potter will not really go away, what with the theme park and the unwavering love of us fans. The sadness is brought on by the thought that there's not gonna be anything new with Harry anymore. Us fans will just have to content ourselves with revisiting the books and holding Potter-thons. 

Alan Rickman summarized this overwhelming feelings in his short blurb. He encapsulated my experience in a few short sentences. He captured it beautifully. He was perfect as Severus Snape, and for the last time, I'm sure he will exceed all our expectations. I wish the journey could go on forever, but, as they say, all good things come to an end. That's what makes them special.

No comments: