Happy Halloween!!!

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Dora's Trip to North Pole

I hate Dora the Explorer. I hate her whiny voice and her talking backpack and her talking monkey friend. I think that by watching it, kids would actually get dumber. Nor would they learn the Spanish thing. Yes, maybe some older kids would be all, "Ah, so gracias is thank you in Spanish..." Their schemas would be able to associate it if they're mature enough. But I'm afraid that some kids would just remember Baminos! and not even know what that means (I've heard that a million times in the show - I still don't know what it means. Does it mean "Let's go"?) I hate the mouse pointer thing, too. I don't know. Haha. Maybe one day I'd like that show. I used to hate Spongebob as much, but after viewing a couple of episodes, now I love dear ol' Spongey.

I was waiting for the rerun of CSI:NY in AXN tonight. There's nothing else worth watching on TV (Ed TV in HBO ended about twenty minutes ago) so I switched to cartoons. I don't like Cartoon Network's Adult Swim (the phantom guy is so irritatingly stupid. or was that the other superguy...?). So I switched to cartoon network, and lo and behold, it's Dora the Lakwatsera. I hate her triangular hair (because I have it too, and it sucks. I hate it.) I had no other choice so I decided to watch it. No, I still hate her, but the show was pretty okay.

I got to the part where she's helping this cub (baby wolf) cross a river (it's icy all around) by jumping on whales. So I've just researched and discovered that some whales actually live in rivers (credits to the writer, not Dora). I was about to turn the TV off 'cause it's so annoying but then she said something about the North Pole. Hey, I've just felt the Christmas Spirit (and chilly air, yey!) today so I'm all ears.

It turns out that she travelled to the North Pole to give Santa a present. That was what made me like the episode. After all these years of believing in Santa (although right now, I know better, but I still want to believe, just for the joy of it), I've never thought of giving him a present. It's always the sock with a little wish list inside but never a letter asking, "So Santa, what do you want for Christmas?" He works all year making sure that good kids get presents, but what does he get in return? Yeah, yeah, the joy of giving, the expression of children's faces, blah blah blah, but still. Nobody even thought of giving him a gift because they took it for granted that it's his job to be the one giving the gifts. I don't know, I just realized that I've been really selfish then, asking for all those presents from him, and not even thinking of what he wants. Sure, the milk and cookie are nice, but that's like, a default thing to give (besides, he doesn't need the transaturated fat from packed cookies. if it's home baked, then better. But still, it adds to the belly :) ) Nobody took time to know what Santa wants. After all, Santa is also human (if he exists) who deserves a nice pressie come Christmas morning. It was sad when Dora saw that there's nothing under Santa's tree. :(

So, what do you think Santa's wish list would contain? Hmm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I can't believe you don't like adult swim! Drawn Together and Moral Oral... Of course husband is addicted to Metalocolypse, which I don't like a whole lot. But really, can't you give it a second chance? LOL.

Miss Lee said...

Maybe I will. :)