Happy Halloween!!!

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Phantom Fever

Written yesterday when I was sniffling away early in the morning.


April 7, 2009

9:12AM

Tuesday


Damn. I watched Phantom of the Opera again and as usual, I couldn't help crying. At least now it's more of a silent crying type than the bawling my eyes out and wailing like before. 


I just... He's just so lonely, you know? And the world's been so unfair to him. All he's known is darkness and cruelty and they blame him for his aggressive murderous behavior. If people weren't so cruel to him, he would've learned gentler ways. They made him that way and now they're condemning him for the result of their own faults. Ugh.


I might also be saying this just because it's Gerard Butler. Even with a messed up half of a face, he's still the hottest phantom ever. And man does he sound good. The rockstar voice really suits his character. The stage play phantoms I've heard all have that smooth boyband-ish voice. Gerry's is way way better, you know, with the angst and all. 

Also, he performed that role really well. I wouldn't be crying if he weren't so convincing. I mean, yeah, Christine is wonderful too (and it keeps running through my mind that at the time of the making of that movie, she was underage and her leading men are all way older). But the Phantom's performance was what made the movie. If he failed to portray the loneliness, the bitterness, and the pain, it would just be another semi-slasher flick. But Gerry managed to give all those characteristics to the Phantom and made him a sympathetic character, which is of course the point of the movie (for me at least. I mean, Raul is just a whiny bi-atch, why want him to be the point of sympathy?)


And might I add that making people as beautiful as Gerard Butler cry should me made a crime. Man. That scene when he was in front of the musical monkey with cymbals... That just tears me up. I swear. It was so full of everything painful in the world. He loved her. He loved her. He loved her. And she chose that whiny albeit rich prick.


Okay, I'm admitting that I may not feel as strongly as this if the Phantom wasn't Gerard Butler. But hey, the first time I saw it I didn't even know who he was so... Okay fine. I still thought that the Phantom was a deal more handsomer than what I expected. Lol. Still. Good acting.

1 comment:

jackie said...

Lemme just say...you're my new best friend. =P

I don't even know anymore how many times I've seen this movie. I stopped counting at 30, and that was way back in 2005. Still, it always feels like new and it always makes me cry.

I like Raoul, actually, but Gerry's the love of my life. =D

BTW, I just saw on TV this evening, they're showing Tomb Raider 2 on Studio 23 this Saturday, 11:30pm. You know, in case you might want a Gerry fix. =)