Happy Halloween!!!

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Gulping Down Books

Wow, it's been weeks since I last posted. I guess I got caught up in... Well, I don't know exactly what I got caught up in.

Actually, since school started again last Jan 4, I've read four books. I just finished the fourth one awhile ago, and am currently started on the fifth one.

Four books in a week and a half? And that's a school week, mind you. I guess college life gives me more freedom to do these things. Back in high school, I get home and slump right into sleep. I only have time to read when I'm sitting on my throne in the bathroom. And it takes me a week or more to finish a single book. I read the Little Prince in more than a week. And it's a very thin book!

This is like, a life achievement for me. Haha! I'm finally going to be able to clear my UNREAD BOOKS CABINET.

Actually, I read three books that I'd just bought, and they prompted me to open the unread books cabinet door and nick one from there.

A friend told me that the Velvet series was Deveraux's best work, but I didn't really like romance novels that time, and I didn't have the money to buy one. So this Christmas, when spare cash unconsciously fell into my hands, I decided to spend them on an investment.

BOOKS!

So I saw this site and someone was selling second hand books. It's not as cheap as in Booksale, but it's in very good condition. So I bought the Velvet Series.Well, I actually bought a part of it. I still have two missing. I have Velvet Promise, Velvet Song and Velvet Angel. I still need Highland Velvet and The Black Lyon. I was skeptical at first, but when I read it, I got hooked, and so spent every waking minute and break time reading the three books.

And now, only after 2 weeks of holiday, I'm yet again low on cash. I wanna check Booksale first if they've got the ones I'm looking for 'cause they'll sell it in relatively lower prices, but if not, I'll buy from that site again. That girl has the complete collection of Jude Deveraux! My friend's ambition before was to have a complete collection of Jude's novels, but when we had a garage sale last summer, she sold some of her Jude books. Now, I think that's becoming my ambition already.

I had a dream that our house was going to be destroyed by a flood, maybe a tsunami or something, it involved high waters. And then we were packing to evacuate, and my dad said to just pack the essentials, so I had to sneak back into my room and pack my books into big duffel bags. I won't just stand there and see them ruined by water!

The fourth book I read was The Nanny by Melissa Nathan. I didn't like it at first, 'cause it was kind of boring and I didn't get it 'cause it's in British English and I'm used to American English. But still I stuck to it, as this was the way I started out with the best books ever, the Harry Potter Series. I remembered that I almost gave up in Chapter One in Book One 'cause I was bored outta my wits, but I've got nothing to do so I read on and...the rest is history.

The Nanny was pretty good, just not that good. But it managed to make me stay up and read it all night, so it's good enough. The "love story" was just blurry, it was there, but it wasn't clear. The nanny and the guy was always fighting, and I never really felt that they were falling for each other already. It kind of just happened. No climactic whatever. I guess there was one, but I didn't really feel it. But it was a nice read.

So now, I'm trying to read A Bend in the Road by Nicholas Sparks. I'm hoping this is as good as A Walk to Remember. I remember that I borrowed The Notebook from a friend and tried to read it and abandoned it after three tries that just got until page 8.

I'm hoping that by summer, half of the books in THE UNREAD BOOKS CABINET will be in the READ BOOKS CABINET already.

No comments: