Happy Halloween!!!

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Something to Talk About

Yesterday, my Spanish professor said that students in our school used to have to take 24 units or so per semester to complete their degrees. But now it was reduced to 15-18 only (some courses may have more) because the administration wanted to give the students more time for discussion.

Discuss what, you might ask.

Well, he compared us to our counterpart in Europe. He said that students our age in Europe, during their free times, gather and sit on the grass and talk about philosophy, culture, and politics.

Please, I beg you, is this true? I really want to know, if any European kid is reading this, comment, please.

Because I kind of find it hard to believe that kids our age (we're about 18-19 years old) spend the only time they have to chill out and be brain dead for a few moments talking about how sucky the economy is and how hopeless the world is. I mean, okay, I'd understand if those students are political science or law students or if there's some kind of national or international turmoil on the front page of newspapers. But actually spend free time arguing about politics? It's depressing as it is, and arguing about it per se wouldn't make it better. Of course, it could raise awareness, which could be helpful, if the people taking about it actually give a damn.

And philosophy? I personally think that philosophy is a great topic. This I could picture myself discussing with my friends. But not every time. It would be like taking the subject twice. I mean, God gave us breaks between classes for a reason, that is, to recharge our brains for a sec before diving into another grueling lesson, or maybe catch up with unfinished homework. I wouldn't want to stress my brain further. One classroom session of philosophy is enough for me per day, thanks.

Culture? Man, we talk about culture! Pop culture, that is. And that includes current events. Like Britney's panty-less escapades, her loser of an ex-husband's attempts to promote himself through WWE (he is such an idiot! or his manager is, anyway.), Saddam's low-tech death (I thought he was long gone, but apparently he wasn't. I think this time he really is... right?), the O.C. going to be cancelled after the Feb 22 episode, and people protesting Smith's transfer to the US Embassy.

Hey, there's a bit of politics there, too. See it?

Call me stupid, but I feel that we shouldn't be judged as somewhat beneath those who discuss politics, philosophy, and culture every second of their lives. I don't want any more additional stress to what I already have to handle right now, or else I'm gonna have a stroke very soon. Not because I choose to be brain dead during breaks doesn't mean I'm unintelligent. I can carry an interesting and intelligent conversation if I wanted to, but mostly if needed. It's just that being brain dead for a few minutes and talking about trivial things allow my mind to recuperate from the butchering it takes during lessons.

Being "deep" doesn't mean talking about politics, philosophy, and culture all the time. That's being "geeks".

1 comment:

Bambang Aroengbinang said...

Very good post. I am in an agreement with you and good luck with the study.