Happy Halloween!!!

Monday, July 16, 2007

OotP the Movie

Well... It was good enough.

Okay, there wasn't much enthusiasm in that answer. As much as it pains me to admit, I was a bit disappointed with this one. It's the trailer thing. The trailer of OotP was just so amazing that every time I saw it I wanted to cry because it made me so excited to see the movie. But the movie came short of the trailer. I did like the movie, but I know that I didn't love it when it ended because there's this feeling I had like the one I had with the third movie (although I've now seen the beauty of that). When the credits rolled, I was like... Okay... That was it? There was something missing. I don't know what. But it kinda left me hanging.

I must say though that the kids have grown up a lot in every way. Their acting have become fantastic. I guess being around award-winning actors like Gary Oldman and Maggie Smith has paid off. I felt the angst and loneliness of Harry and the love of his friends. Although I'm still not very comfortable with their present Dumbledore... He's too stern for my taste.

One of the things that disappointed me was the show of Fred and George. I expected the chaos to be...well, more chaotic than that. Bigger fireworks. But I guess the one they did was okay enough. The dragon firework was pretty cool, and the way it destroyed all the decrees.

I also didn't love the abruptness of Cho Chang's disposal. But I guess they needed to do that because Harry ends up with Ginny in the next movie and they didn't have time to introduce Marietta, Cho's friend who was the real culprit. Then again, Cho was made to drink Veritaserum so it wasn't really her fault. Poor Cho. Even though I don't like her cahracter in the books very much, I still feel sorry for her.

Come to think of it, maybe the ending was what left me hanging. I really expected Harry to be so angry and pissed and unreasonable after the incident at the Ministry. I guess it's another time constraint problem. I really can't see why they can't afford to add what, about 10 minutes to the movie. I mean, hello, Lord of the Rings ran for almost a full 3 hours. They didn't have problems. OotP was only on for about 2 hours and 30 minutes. Would it kill them to have it at 2 hours and 40 minutes? After all, they filmed a total of 4 hours or more, right? Anyway, the ending showed Dumbledore and Harry having a heart to heart talk. True, Harry was still mad, but it went over like he was just annoyed. I wanted him to be yelling at Dumbledore and destrying things and stuff like in the book. I mean, Dan can do that, easy. Maybe they didn't have stuff to smash... I mean, this is a very crucial moment, a moment that makes Dumbledore and Harry very human. In the book, this was the moment when Dumbledore, for the first time, was truly sad and sorry and Harry was kind of taken aback by that because he's never seen Dumbledore that way. In the movie, Dumbledore was like, stony. Stern. I really want Michael Gambon to have more emotion. Make him smile a bit! Dumbledore in the book does, even though the times are dark. Make him cry even, or even just sad. Hopefully in the sixth movie he does the death scene well.

The MoM incident was fantastic though. I didn't expect the ghostly swooping entrances from the Death Eaters and the Order. That was such a cool thing. And the duel between Voldy and Dumbly was awesome too. Voldy is just plain creepy. When he possessed Harry, Harry looked like a zombie. That moment really tugged at me and that's when I cried, when Harry was having those flashbacks. I don't know, I cried not only because Sirius died. I guess it's also because I'm proud of Harry. I'm proud of him because he chose to be on the good side even though he has the power to be on the bad side. I also cried because those flashbacks showed how much he's gone through, and how much Ron and Hermione have gone through with him. It's been a long time, and I feel like I've gone through the same things. I've watched them grow and get hurt and I get hurt with them. And the looming release of the final book of the series added to that feeling...

What will life be after Harry Potter?

I felt really awful that day. It's just everything. I know it sounds weird bordering on absurd that I am this much affected by just some books, but like what Emerson Spartz said in Mugglenet's book, those outside the fandom do not understand. I've been a fan since I was 13. It's been seven years. Having something as a part of your life for seven years is not something that can be easily forgotten. It's not something that I can easily get over.

I feel really lonely too. Because none of my friends, even my family members, really know how I feel. I mean, I try to make them understand, but they just can't. Ever since I was a little girl, I had this fascination with the moon, witches, ghosts and goblins. Halloween is even my second favorite holiday, although we don't celebrate it with trick or treats here. That's one of my most dreamed of thing, to be able to go trick or treating. But hey, I'm way overage now. It sucks. Even before I discovered Harry, I already loved his world. My first fiction book that I asked my mom to buy me was the Halloween Party of Sweet Valley Kids. After that, I got hooked with Goosebumps and Fear Street. When I was 11, I even drew witches and jack-o-lanterns and a skeleton and cut them out and tapes them to my ceiling and my wall. I played spooky music all night. They looked at me funny though, because I was celebrating Halloween by myself that day.

Then I met Harry, and it was like I found home. I knew I belonged there. It's kind of painful to know that I'll never go to Hogwarts. I never got my letter. But maybe I did. Maybe by feeling this way, I was really there. I'm part of that world. And I love it.

No comments: